Developing a new website or upgrading an existing one: both are challenges. And in most cases there is already content that needs to be copied to the new website.
Meet the Migrate module! A splendid tool that already has proven itself, it is even included in Drupal 8 core. In this talk you can expect:
- A short introduction on the migration process - ETL.
- Overview of the Migrate module:
- What is the Migrate module?
- How to load your data?
- What does the migration process look like?
- How does it work?
- What do you need to know before you can use the Migrate module?
- How to determine the order of migration tasks?
- Features of the migrate module:
- What can you migrate?
- How does it integrate with Drush?
During this presentation, all covered topics will be illustrated with experiences from two projects.
The first is the migration of content of a legacy FAQ site to a brand new Drupal site. The original website was a completely customized web application where students can submit questions. These questions were then answered by the didactical team. The new site had to offer the same features while the content was conserved.
The second and smaller project is the upgrade of an existing Drupal 6 site to a newly designed website in Drupal 7. As there was not that much content, migration was easier.
As the design of Drupal 8 is Object-Oriented, there will also be some attention to the nice design of the Migrate module which results in an easy plugin system.